Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dust go to Sleep


There was an old poem published in the Ladies' Home Journal in 1938 entitled "Song for a Fifth Child" by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton. Maybe you know it. It has been on my mind lately...especially as I look at my sweet Lucas and realize he is 10 weeks old already. I feel like this time has just slipped out from under me. Between potty training and summer activities and making dinner and wiping noses and cutting fingernails and painting toenails and doing hair and making snacks and picking up toys...I am fearful that I am missing out on all of those sweet moments with Lucas. I knew this would be the challenge with a second baby, but I'm not sure I'm balancing things all that well. Anyway, I am asking the Lord to help me savor each moment. And I'm plastering this sweet little poem onto my heart...and hoping to find the balance somehow.

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'till tomorrow,
for babies grow up, much to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."


3 comments:

  1. hi kristin - i posted this poem on my blog a couple days before you!! :) have fun enjoying your littles -- sarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Love you dearly, and keeping you in my prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling completely. It breaks my heart...Jack is starting to crawl and I tell him "no, you can't crawl because you are just a itty bitty newborn" I'm still trying to find the balance between what 'needs' to be done and what my heart wants (ie: playing with my sweet ones and cuddling them all day long, etc...)When you figure it out can you fill me in on the secret please?

    ReplyDelete